Riding lawn mower tow behind accessories extend the use of the lawnmower. A consumer can easily turn a basic riding mower into a multi-use tractor and yard maintenance machine with accessories. These items, referred to as pull behind attachments and tow behind tractor attachments.
Options include gag reels, trail cutters, trail mowers, aerators, de-thatchers, lawn rollers, sprayers, spreaders, dump carts, baggers, lawn vacuums, sweepers, debris loaders, scrapers, cultivators, and tillers. The consumer can obtain them at home care centers such as Home Depot and Lowe's or at specialty online stores like Mower's Direct. Another option is purchasing directly from the manufacturer, such as Husqvarna. Some attachments cost only a few hundred dollars while others run into the thousands.
Obtaining these attachments means being able to automatically bag the grass as its mowed, for example, using a bagger. Aerators punch small holes into the yard for water to more easily flow into to properly saturated the ground to improve grass growth. Hauling or pushing a dump cart with the mower lets the user or a helper toss debris and/or sticks into it as the rider mows. A tiller lets them turn the ground to prepare it for planting, a handy extension for either flower or vegetable garden planting.
At Home Depot, the following accessories are in most stores. The firm offers many more online. The difference between the selections varies from about 60 items in-store to more than 400 online.
- John Deere 42 in. Twin Bagger for 100 Series Tractors,
- Double Bagger for 42 in. and 46 in. Lawn Tractors, 2009 and After
Cub Cadet Double Bagger for 42 in. and 46 in. Lawn Tractors, 2009 and After,
- 50 in. 26 cu. ft. Lawn Sweeper AllFitHD 50 in. 26 cu. ft. Lawn Sweeper,
- 38 in. 2-Bin Soft Bagger Ryobi 38 in. 2-Bin Soft Bagger,
- 42 in. – 46 in. 2-Bin Lawn Mower Bagger,
- TimeCutter Twin Bagger for SS and SW 42 in. Stamped Deck Models (2018 onward),
- Toro TimeCutter Twin Bagger for SS and SW 42 in. Stamped Deck Models
- 48 in. Twin Bagger for 100 Series Tractors,
John Deere 48 in. Twin Bagger for 100 Series Tractors
- TimeCutter Twin Bagger for 50 and 54 in. Deck Toro TimeCutter Twin Bagger for 50 and 54 in. Deck,
- 44 in. Snow Blower Attachment for 100 Series Tractors John Deere 44 in. Snow Blower Attachment for 100 Series Tractors,
- 42 in. and 46 in. Bagger for RZT-S and 46 in. RZT-L Mower Cub Cadet 42 in. and 46 in. Bagger for RZT-S and 46 in. RZT-L Mower,
- FastAttach Double Bagger for 42 in. and 46 in.XT1 and XT2 Enduro Series Lawn Tractors,
- Cub Cadet FastAttach Double Bagger for 42 in. and 46 in.XT1 and XT2 Enduro Series Lawn Tractors,
- 44 in. 25 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper Agri-Fab 44 in. 25 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper,
- 650 lb. 10 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Poly Utility Cart John Deere 650 lb. 10 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Poly Utility Cart,
- TimeCutter Twin Bagger for 42 in. Deck Toro TimeCutter Twin Bagger for 42 in. Deck,
- 12.5 cu. ft. 1000 lb. Capacity Poly Swivel Dump Cart AllFitHD 12.5 cu. ft. 1000 lb. Capacity Poly Swivel Dump Cart,
- 18 in. x 24 in. 270 lb. Combination Push/Tow Poly Lawn Roller Brinly-Hardy 18 in. x 24 in. 270 lb. Combination Push/Tow Poly Lawn Roller,
- 22 cu. ft. HD 1500 Trailer Polar Trailer 22 cu. ft. HD 1500 Trailer,
- 42 in. 24 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper John Deere 42 in. 24 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper,
- 32 cu. ft. Capacity Chip-N-Vac Agri-Fab 32 cu. ft. Capacity Chip-N-Vac,
- Ohio Steel Professional Grade 50 in. 26 cu. ft. Extra Wide Lawn Sweeper,
- Cub Cadet 42 in. 3-Stage Snow Blower Attachment,
- 42 in. Two-Stage Snow Blower Attachment MTD,
- 42 in. 20 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper,
Brinly-Hardy 42 in. 20 cu. ft. Tow-Behind Lawn Sweeper,
- AllFitHD 42 in. 22 cu. ft. Lawn Sweeper.
Husqvarna also offers front-mounted attachments for riding lawn mowers. These include collectors, moss rakes, trailers, spreaders, and scarifiers. By using attachments on the front and rear ends of the mower, the consumer can truly extend the machine's use. Most of its attachments cost between $50 to $600. Husqvarna offers the following items:
- 48″ Dozer (and Snow) Blade DB 48,
- 36″ Front Scoop FS 36,
- 40″ Front Mount De-thatcher,
- Lawn Tractor Brush Guard GTH 263T, GTH 264T,
- Lawn Tractor Front Bumper Kit GTH260 Twin, YTH23V48.
Its rear-mounted attachments include aerators, baggers, de-thatchers, garden dump carts, utility cart trailers, rollers and tow behind spreaders. These items range in cost from about $320 to $850. These include:
- Lawn Mower Triple Bagger Soft Bin Triple Bagger,
- Lawn Mower Triple Bagger Soft Bin Triple Bagger,
- Lawn Mower Double Bagger Soft Bin Double Bagger,
- 16′ Steel Swivel Dump Cart DC 1250S,
- 12′ Welded Steel Dump cart DC 1000SW.
Owning a riding lawn mower makes yard maintenance much easier and quicker to accomplish. Following the right maintenance, mechanisms can make the lawn tractor or riding lawn mower last longer and function better. This guide offered an introduction to the most major items. Although it's probably not as exciting as a John Grisham novel, read the owner's manual. It offers advice specific to the purchased mower model.
When problems arise, a quick reference to the manual lets you know how to deal with these things. Some require a mechanic. Proper maintenance involves many items, but this guide introduces the five most basic. These topics included:
- how to start a riding mower without a key.
- how to change lawn mower oil.
- what causes a riding lawn mower to cut uneven?
- why is the riding lawn tractor backfiring?
- riding lawn mower tow behind accessories.
Most items discussed here should only be attempted by adults. This is especially true for addressing backfires, engine work and starting the mower without a key, especially using the jumper cable method or screwdriver method.
You can make all maintenance on the mower easier by creating a mower maintenance kit. Keep these items in a tool chest or bin in the same spot the mower gets stored. Gather the following items at a minimum:
- engine oil,
- drain pan,
- drain tube or Arnold Siphon Pump,
- oil filter,
- strap wrench,
- leather work gloves,
- rubber work gloves,
- two-headed screwdriver,
Remember, that many manufacturers offer video on their websites or YouTube accounts for those who learn better visually. Sears is one of these and posted numerous video tutorials of riding lawn mower maintenance processes.
Also, read our other pages on riding lawn mower. This site offers not only expert and user reviews, but many helpful tutorials to teach consumers how to get the most out of their purchases. Reading the information provided can help the consumer make the best, most cost-efficient purchases. It also ensures once the purchase is made, the consumer can extend the life of the items. That saves them more money.